Monday 30 November 2009

Heartbreaker

If you think children are innocent little creatures, let me tell you that you are far from being remotely right. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying children are malicious or anything. All I'm saying is they mastered the art of manipulation since the day the doctor pulled them out from their mothers' tummies.

Changunnie has been very fixated at changing her clothes four to five times a day. If her wish doesn't materialize (especially at school), she cries till someone has enough and offers to help her change. This isn't acceptable behaviour and we decided to take her out of school for couple days to correct the problem and to avoid her associating school to anything negative.

We had a long talk with her on Friday and she appeared to comprehend how serious the problem was and more importantly, how determined we were to fix it. She agreed to everythig we said and was on her best behaviour the entire weekend.

Then came Monday. She wanted to put on a pair of tights instead of wearing her perfectly clean pants. Tears flooded her face and I decided to carry her into her room and let her cry it all out alone. She knew my softspot for her and kept saying "mama, where are you? Why did you do that?" while crying loudly.

Grandma gave me the support and we st outside of the room to wait for her to calm down. 15 mins later. She stopped and I gave her a hug and the lecture.

She told us that she wanted to go back to school tomorrow and promised that she won't cry. Will see if she can keep her promise. For me, I have to learn not to be manipulated by the crying.

No comments:

Post a Comment