Sunday 1 November 2009

Superbowl without a helmet

I mentioned in my last post that we didn't go to any fancy restaurant for our 10th anniversary dinner. Some of you may know the reason. Grandma fainted on the rooftop the night before and ended up with a black eye and a swollen cheek....

It was around 5:30pm on Thursday. I was not particular happy because of some crap at work. My phone rang and I had the super calm grandpa on the line. My heart was up in my throat. When grandpa is super calm, it means something bad happened.

"Grandma passed out for 3 seconds and fell down on the rooftop. Right cheek landed on the ground first"

I called our family doctor and left work immediately. There wasn't any taxi so I ran to the subway station to catch the train. It was all calm at home. Changunnie was playing with grandpa in the living room. I ran into grandma's room and saw her lying in bed with a towel wrapped around her head, err.... like a mummy! The right cheek was swollen and she couldn't open her right eye. There were serious bruises under her eye. The only comfort was Grandma was conscious and could recount exactly what happened. Both grandma and grandpa insisted on not going to the hospital. The only thing for us to do was to monitor her conditions (no vomitting, no serious headache, good eyes movement...etc).

On Saturday, we took her to the doctor and X-ray. Our family doctor didn't scold us but we knew exactly what he meant when he said the skull got very thin bones and it's hard to detect a fracture which can cause complication during heeling....

Fortunately, grandma's condition has gotten a lot better and as suspected, the brusise around her eye started to spread and her cheek is starting to turn greenish. She should be alright in weeks. There was one thing really funny about the incident. We joked about how grandma looked like she played in the superbowl without a helmet and when daddy and I went to Lee Garden to fix Changunnie's stroller, we saw a poster and I couldn't help but to take a picture. Grandma could be the fashion icon according to the poster.......

No comments:

Post a Comment