Monday 16 November 2009

Thanksgiving - we aren't pilgrims

I bumped into a colleague whom I don't really work with but we always trade food story. He was telling me about his long weekend in Seoul with his wife and they ate all the goodies there (including chargrilled Korean beef) and somehow we started talking about Bacon Explosion and Turducken. Yes, Turkey with a duck stuffe inside and there is a chicken in the duck.... And deepfried. Only in America but the thought of a combination of two American dishes just wouldn't go away from my head.

It'll be Thanksgiving in two weeks and we are hosting a dinner at home. I am toying with the idea of making a bacon web and cover the turkey in it for bacon. I think the part that I want would be the gravy and the thigh. Let's see what else I'm going to make... We tried to follow couple Robuchon recipe and the venison one killed our confidence completely. I'm hoping I can redeem myself from making the Joel mashed potato for thanksgiving. To play safe, I'll also make a Hawaiian mashed potato with onion and sweet corn. I know, it sounds weird but it doesn't taste as bad as it sounds!!

What else are we making?? Apple pie, pumpkin pie, peacan pie, cookies for people to take home? You know what? I'm hungry already and starting to wonder if I need to start my time off earlier in the week.

Thanksgiving is supposed to be a day to be grateful and I'm very grateful that despite of all the BS I witness or deal with at the zoo, I get to cook for people I care and have a good time each and everytime we have friends over for dinner.

Now, what kind of bacon should I use for best result??

2 comments:

  1. Robuchon mash is quite tricky!!

    Ideally you cook the turkey legs and breasts separately, the legs roasted and the breasts poached. What you give up presentation (a whole bird), but you gain in the eating.

    I can give you some "meat glue" activa that can bind together meats, this allows you to "reconstruct" any pieces of meat into the perfect roularde. It's food safe

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I think the presentation won't be an issue. The people who will be there care more about substance than form :) too bad that you will be working. In any case, it's open house and you are welcome to stop by. We will be eating at 4am after the first round of digestion!!

    ReplyDelete