Saturday 28 November 2009

Thank you, my two little elves!

No, neither of them look like Will Ferrell!

We ambitiously (or through lack of coordination) invited about 40 people over for Thanksgiving dinner. To feed 40 people is a logistic thing that I can handle but to cater three groups of people with different culinary preference in one go is the tough part. Anyway, despite the few hiccups( which included charcoaled carrot) we survived. Other than Grandma, everyone loves the mashed potato. Grandma thinks mashed potato should hold its shape when scooped onto the plate. She still cannot get over the thought of 25% butter(while in reality, the number is closer to 75%.... she didn't see how we put butter into the pot...)

What I want to say is I want to thank the two little elves who came to our rescue. Not only did they help to prepare the dinner, they reminded me a very important lesson in life which is priceless.

When I first met them through Peech, I was impressed by their passion about food and cooking. Lots of people claim to love food but it's more of a show than an appreciation of food and the work being put behind it, and I mean from growing all the way to cooking. They have the flame in their heart and really got me thinking if I should leave the zoo to embark on a new career. Some people might say there's too much to give up but I'm more convinced each day that I should do something that keeps myself happy and good for people I love and care even if that means less money and more hard work.

Got a long to do list and lots of reading. Thank you again my two little elves!

1 comment:

  1. Grandma expected "mash potato" while we were making "potato-mayo"! I'm so glad we saved the emulsion...you saw my look when the pot of mash had 2" of oil floating on top =?

    But yes, thanks for inviting us to help cook thanksgiving! It was our first and was sure fun (though we had to do quite some research before coming over).

    Let's get that masonry oven built and breads baking!

    ReplyDelete