Wednesday 2 December 2009

Exercise - by other people

I woke up on Tuesday morning with a nasty pain in my shoulder and I knew it would be a rough week. It happened couple times before. It's almost always the case that one or two days into my holiday, I get a stiff neck/shoulder or a cold (and this time I get both). My theory is when I am not stressed, my self-defense system is not on guard. Sounds pathetic, doesn't it? I am only in good shape when I am stressed. However, if you think how quickly retirees ages, you know what I mean. We need to be busy to stay sharp both physically and mentally. It doesn't need to be work but we need to be moving constantly.

Anyway, I didn't want to get medicine for my stiff shoulder. Fast relieve means the doctor will give me a steroid injection, not something that I fancy. Plus, exercise is the only way to ensure proper recovery. I tried to move my arm but I couldn't even raise it. Relying on my record of no painkiller after my Cesarean, I struggled for another 10 hours before I gave in. Grandma called a Chinese Korean masseur to my rescue. The pain didn't go away completely after the 3 hours massage but the pain wasn't as nasty. I was told to do some exercise to assist the recovery and should be fine in 3 to 4 days.

Lying in bed without anything else better to do (since I couldn't turn or move my arms), I started to think about the massage and noticed similarities between Yoga and Massage. I do everything myself in Yoga while the masseur helps me to do it in a massage but effectively, I went through a pretty intensive session of yoga (cobra, pigeon...etc). Should I go back to Yoga or should I get massage regularly?

Yoga - I need to go to the studio and some of them took way too many members. I left the last studio because I could see someone else's undies in class (who in their right mind would wear the old style loose football shorts???) and her sweat dropped on my feet.

Massage - I could do it at the comfort of home and I know there is no need for me to worry about "no see, no smell, no contact".

Cost-wise, the two are similar. (If you need the number of the Chinese Korean masseur, call me. He speaks mainly Korean though). The decision is an easy one, of course I am going to keep up with a good exercise regime except it'll be someone else to help me with my exercise!!

No comments:

Post a Comment