Thursday 3 December 2009

Ditch that nappy!

Changunnie is at school right now and I am waiting anxiously to pick her up at noon. I want to know if she can keep her pants dry for the third day straight.

Changunnie has been doing alright in most of her development milestone except potty training. She has been unwilling to use the toilet. I have a strong suspicion that it's not that she can't control her bladder. She simply doesn't want to do it. Want me to quote some evidence?

- She has a series of very specific moves when she wants to go to the toilet and if we are home, she keeps going back to the same corner behind the arm chair
- She will not sit down (even when she was very little) after the deed is done
- She wants us to change her immediately after a poop

I hate to see the smirk on those very smug parents when we encounter each other in the toilet in shopping malls. Just because their kids wear underpants instead of nappy doesn't make them any better! My Changunnie mastered three languages at the age of 2 and has been translating for Grandma and Grandpa (and these days to correct their pronunciation and grammar).

Suddenly, after Thanksgiving, this concept of "I am a big sister" got engraved in her head. I don't know where she got it from but I am quite happy to see her making the decision herself to use the toilet like a big girl.

Grandpa's theory that "Genius are too busy with more important things in life and cannot care less about potty training" no longer holds true. I don't really care if Changunnie is a genius or not but I am very happy to see her saying good bye to her nappy. Now I can spend the HKD 300 we save each month on buying quality ingredients for some real baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment