Thursday 17 December 2009

My food and me

Changunnie's school is having a Christmas party tomorrow and everyone has to bring a snack to share. It's a very challenging job. Unlike an adult party for which I can simply inject vodka into a watermelon and freeze before serving, I need to consider if the food is healthy yet tasty. Whether the food may post health hazard... Etc. Don't know what I mean? Lots of people think cookies would have been a good one. However, you have to rule out peanut butter cookies, chocolate and nuts cookies because some kids may have allergy. If I make meat balls, the vegetarians parents won't be impressed. It took me couple days to think, plan and shop and finally settle for chocolate dipped apricot and jelly fruit candy.

All these makes me wonder how much thought people put in their food. You know how the mattress sales keep telling you how one third of your life is spent in bed (I wish!) and it's important to get a good bed. We only get to eat that much subject to the constraint of out stomach and metabolism but people keep putting junk into their system.

I want to eat well and at the same time don't sacrifice my health. I want to eat food which is in season because that's how nature is telling me the taste of the food is only in it's prime at a particular point in the year. Off season means either taste isn't good or there're lots of chemicals. I want to know what's being put in my food and how it may affect my health as a result. All these means I should cook more!

No comments:

Post a Comment