Monday 23 February 2009

You are welcome!

"For there is a time and a way for everything, although man’s trouble lies heavy on him." Ecclesiastes 8:6

There are people who think it is perfectly legitimate to create senseless work for other people knowing full well it is a total waste of time. The motivation? They were pressured to produce some meaningful work. I was stuck in such a situation yesterday and am not pleased.

Someone decided to revive an old discussion on Friday night. By Monday morning, I had a string of emails from that same person proposing to do a transaction in a rather complicated way which touched on all the pressure point that I highlighted as dealbreakers. Nothing could stop the email stalker and I finally wrote a polite email that proposed two alternatives assuming we could lend a small amount to the client. I must have waived the magic wand or something as the email stalker asked to talk to me in person.

First thing that came out from the email stalker "Why are you taking it so seriously?"

What? Me taking it seriously? I would have ignored the discussion if the email stalker did not bombard me with emails!

"Your boss complained to my boss that I am not showing him opportunities from my coverage area. So, there you go, a deal that cannot be done."

Copy the boss and don't push me to waste time then. I have better things to do than being a part of someone else's grand political game plan.

The email stalker obviously misinterpreted Ecclesiastes 8:6 as a pass to do whatever considered as "the way that pleases me".

For me, I am waiting for the time when I can grab the folding chair before meeting the email stalker again. Perhaps, I can quote my favourite Pulp Fiction quote:

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

No comments:

Post a Comment