Wednesday 11 February 2009

Shopping for a camera

Having a kid and a mortgage changes one's spending habit and I am a living proof of it.  I used to splurge on shoes and bags but those days are gone, long gone.

The digital camera I have is a freebie I received from Visa card application.  You know the story, plastic shell, 6 megapixel, takes 3 seconds to take a picture.....  All the nice pictures we have of Changunnie are either taken by professionals (We walked into the studio with a gift voucher for a photo session and one 5R picture and walked out with HKD20K less in the wallet!) or by friends with nice cameras (and actually know how to use them).  Since I got my pay cheque yesterday, I decided to buy a decent camera so that I can take nicer pictures assuming I can learn how to use the camera properly.  

Did my research on the internet and have my mind set on the Canon Powershot G10.  I held the G10 in my hands and it felt good.  The G10 was about to turn into my very proud purchase when

"What are you going to use it for?" asked the friend who took me to the shop and the sales person

"Snap shots of my baby."

"You need a single lens reflex camera.  3 pictures every second.  Kids don't stay still for pictures."

"Oh!" 

"Try the entry level Canon EOS 450D."

"Can it take video?"

"Take the IXUS too."

So, there I was, a small box turned into a big bag with boxes.....  Now I know what I am going to do tonight. It should be easier to read the user manuel of a camera than that of a Japanese baby stroller.  


1 comment:

  1. Good choice!! I got the cannon EOS XTI (early last year) which is the previous version of 450D!! Did you get the kit lens?
    And I am using it very since!! You need to buy lens to go with it!! That will get expensive. I got two lens and flash now...
    We also get the small canon camera that for video/snap shot.. since you won't carry the 450D all the time!!

    ReplyDelete