Thursday 12 February 2009

Out of Office

Perhaps I am not young anymore. Going to somewhere as close as Pattaya wasn't easy at all. Whilst other people got a free upgrade to Business Class, I was handed an Economy Class boarding pass at the check in counter. My husband gracefully offered his seat but I gratefully declined. It was a two and half hour flight and he's almost six inches taller.

I sat next to a Bristian Indian family. The children were very polite and the parents pleasant (we ended up chatting happily away for two hours). A pretty good start. We were all busy filling in the immigration card when the lady in front of me decided to lower her seat. My estimate on the very conservative side is that she's about six inches shorter than me. Extra room for her? I call that a unnecessary luxury. The TV screen on the back of her seat was practically in my face. How come the overhead light is not working? How come there's no light in the entire section? Wait!? What about the TV? For whatever odd reasons, Cathay Pacific decided not to show any movies on the not-too-short-haul flight from Hong Kong to Bangkok but I do want to watch Larry David even for 30 minutes and now the In-flight entertainment system is NOT working??

"Deep breath! Calm down, don't break anything..... "

My neighbour and I exchanged some complaints and we started to talk about the failure of the banking system. Is Gordon Brown really doing the right thing to save the economy in the UK? Is the media to blame for spreading the words that the world is doom and people ended up not spending? I believe consumer spending is key to sustain economic growth. Government stimulus package will only give a short term uplift but place us in deeper trouble. And the tax I paid is going to someone else's big fat bonus whilst I get a laughable deferred cash amount??

We arrived at the BKK right after we exchanged numbers and details of golf courses in Pattaya and Southern China. Now, that's when I realized I am old. The shuttle bus was nice and equipped with big speakers. The songs were my favourite golden oldies (I was told the threshold is pre-90s). The 1.5 hours drive to Pattaya was rough! I felt like I was reading Bouncy Castle in "Maisy at the Fair" for Changunnie. Took quite some effort to keep my double cheese whopper and popeye chicken and Ben & Jerry's in my stomach. Looked at the watch, Dang! It was pass eleven! I thought I left Central at 4:30pm......

Will try out the new camera tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment