Wednesday 19 August 2009

Talking about dodos

Dodo American Heritage Dictionary: n. A large, clumsy, flightless bird [(Raphus cucullatus)] formerly of th island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean, that has been extinct since the late 17th century

When I was young, I always dreamed of dinosaurs living under my bed and they would come out when everyone was sound asleep. They never left us (which, as I learned later on in my life, is not entirely wrong. Birds are closely linked to dinosaurs).

So, when I think of Dodo, I can tell you that they are with us still. Of course, they appeared to be different but they are definitely around and can be found in a place called OFFICE and most of the time, they dress in a suit.

I don't know whether it's ignorance or a deliberate effort, some people simple don't use their brain before they make a comment. Couple conference calls and meetings from the past 36 hours exemplify my theory of dodo's existence. It's excruciating for me to repeat the content of the calls. (ok, I might disclose some of the dialogue I endured if you take me out for nice lunch)

I gotta do something to prevent Changunnie from turning into a dodo. Frankly, I am not happy with schools in Hong Kong. They are not very good at teaching kids the vital skill of learning. They force children to learn couple alphabets, writing...etc and so long as the kids eventually gain a place at "prestigious" schools, the pre-school/kindy is a success and you have a flock of parents in front of the school to submit entrance applications. It doesn't matter if the children have no creativity or the ability to act and think independently.

I am struggling if I should let Changunnie attend pre-school this September. On the one hand, she needs to social skills. On the other hand, I don't want people to dummify her. I am happy to see her being a little naughty at home. In fact, I was very happy to see how she tried to get more treats from grandpa and the way she runs after (NOT away) from a cockroach. Am I depriving my own daughter of a ticket to a better future?

1 comment:

  1. Have you consider home school? not sure if it is common in HK at all? Of course that will mean you will have to stay home!!

    ReplyDelete