Sunday 30 August 2009

Activist against schools?

I'm not going to defend schools in Hong Kong. I was angry because some activist decided that it's an awful idea to have a school in the neighbourhood and they wrote to the Town Planning Department to stop the grantin of license. We lived next to two very prestigious schools on Kennedy Road and understand perfectly how bad traffic in the neighbourhood can get. However no one complained. Maybe the children of the rich and powerful are students there.

We were lucky to find a place for Changunnie at a preschool 10 days before the new school year. I did more research and found the memo of the July 09 meeting of the TPD wich detailed the ground of rejection of license application of Changunnie's preschool. The reason? Parents sending children to school will significantly intensify the congestion on Hiram's Highway during the morning peak hour. Someone decided to make pretty strange postings of the otherwise obscure minutes on discussion forum.

I don't like being stuck in the traffic myself but I think a situation like that can have a solution. The school can start after 9. The peak hour in this area should be around 8 to 8:45 so that people can be at work in town by 9:30 or so. Why did the activist have to take out the opportunity for kids to go to school in the neighbourhood??

I still do not know if the school can get the license in Oct in the appeal hearing. I do know I want to do two things. Send a petition to the TPD and ask those activist why they didn't complain about the schools on HK island?

No comments:

Post a Comment