Wednesday 19 August 2009

I speak pidgin English

I recently met someone who's not English nor a native speaker but lived in England in the past ten years. That person loves to say "That's how we say it in England". That really annoys me. What does that suppose to mean? Is he trying to say my father wasted his hard earn money to send me to school? To make it worse, he says it a lot in front of another colleague who's of the same enthnic group but grew up in the motherland. I consider that reverse racial discrimnation.

I was angry. I don't like anyone who is condescending. Then, a smirk appeared on my face. That person is so pathetic that he has to validate his identity with such a stupid reference. Does he really think he can write "Anglo Saxon" under race?

I don't understand why some people think the fact that they can speak English means they are better. From an economics perspective, it makes sense to speak Chinese or Hindi or some Indian language these days. If I want to settle in the US, I pick Spanish any day. For the purpose to learn to be a good pastry chef, I want to learn French.

What annoys me even more is that person's pathetic attempt at a posh accent. You are fluent in a language if you can express and communicate clearly. Being able to joke in a language is even better but just an attempt at the accent?

I decided to speak my version of Pidgin to that person from now on! In the meantime, he can mipupu smell. (smell my poop!)

No comments:

Post a Comment