Saturday 24 October 2009

Lost in Translation or Lost in Thoughts?

Changunnie has been going to pre-school on a regular basis and I literally see her developing in front of my eyes. Her vocabulary has always been good because of some silly games we play at home, like "who has the last word" which requires different answers to the same question and see who cannot come up with a new answer. In the short 1.5 months though, Changunnie's speech simply evolved to the next level.

We got her a new bed and in an attempt to make her room a little more like fantasy land for little girls, we got some colourful flags to hang on the wall. She saw them and said "Oh! Decoration!" Daddy and I were surprised by her vocabulary and she saw our faces and repeated the word "De-Co-Ra-Tion" to make sure we understood what she was saying. Later that week, we went out for a walk and she took my hand and said "Cars are coming! I have to hold mummy's hands. Otherwise, I will be in trouble!" I was speechless. What happened to my little girl who refused to say "daddy" or mummy" when everyone else were babbling? Soon, she'll write better than I do and she probably will write something that rivals the Constitution when she turns 14?? Changunnie even improved her maths skills. I am not sure if she will do what I did as a kid (put down 1 - 100 in different orders in a 10x10 grid and circle out all the prime numbers to find patterns) but I am very pleased that she doesn't reject counting and algebra the way she did when she was younger!

Children are amazing little creatures. They are capable of things that we grown-ups aren't able to do without some extensive training (unless you are talking about figure of speech, putting your feet in your mouth is no easy task) and they learn so quickly. They see the beautiful side of the world and they appreciate it.

I read about an interview of an environmentalist the other day and the interviewee said the world is in disarray and having children is rather selfish as we are giving them a very grim future...blah blah blah. Ok, we've done a lot of harms over the past 30 years or so but shouldn't we have some hope of getting things done right?

I don't know if I can trust the government or any of the politicians out there who talk about change but when I look at my own child, I know I will do something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment