Wednesday 28 October 2009

A decade: a short time but a big step

It's going to be our 10th anniversary this Friday. Ever felt like you had too good a time during Thanksgiving and completely forgot about your final and when you had that blue book in front of you, you wish you could write more than your name and your student ID? That's how I feel now. According to the credit card statement, daddy has been preparing since September unless that item is something I shouldn't be seeing... Me? Maybe I can be a romantic for once and dedicate this piece to daddy.

We were introduced to each other at Christine's farewell party under a carefully orchestrated plan by Ali and Glenn. I got completely shitfaced. Somehow that didn't deter you and you were a real gent about it and made sure I got home safely.

The first time I went to your apartment, I freaked out. Not only was it a very messy bachelor pad, you had bugs under the cushion of your sofa.

The first time my sister-in-law caught us walking down the street hand in hand in Central, I didn't know how to introduce you to each other and I think I jumped into the BodyShop to think.

We went to Tokyo with your sister before we got married and it was my first time in my life that I didn't get to do laundry every night during my holiday. Wearing dirty clothes wasn't as bad as I thought.

My first time to spend the night in a jail cell at a police station was on our wedding night. We got into a fight with the manager and bouncers at Red Rock in LKF. We had to send the relatives off to the airport the next morning and we pretended to be wearing contact lenses. Changunnie, you are so NOT going to repeat that feat!

The honeymoon was delayed because you had to work (which include the recruitment of John!) Whilst other couples would spend a romantic week in Maui, we took advantage of the unlimited golf package at Kapalua. Don't think I saw much other than golf courses that week!

We played Torrey Pines (and to this day, my favourite course in the US) and I managed to play par and bogey with some college players till I lost my ball in the thick rough. Think it was all downhill from there.

I still laugh about the time when we played golf in Bali and the caddy thought you were my dad.

We spent 13 hours on the plane from HK to Hokkaido because of the storm. As if that's not a good enough indication of how bad weather can get in that area, we went hiking in the mountain on a snowy day without food or drinks in our backpack. The chocolate bar saved us. And not to mention the icy road confirmed who got better balance - Me!

When I found out I was pregnant with Changunnie, you were at the stupid sports bar in Seoul with Tom, watching the 2006 world cup game. Your reaction was "Oh that's wonderful! Let me call you back after the game"

The night before the delivery was the time when I blamed myself for being your personal assistant for too long. I tried to give you all the details of bank accounts, when bills are due and how to take money from our account....

The first time you let Changunnie rolled off the bed when she was a bit younger than six months, I was so angry that I could have killed you! I wish you pushed me out of the window from our 15th floor flat instead.

When we had that big fight last year, I thought I was going to grow old on my own and I was scared! Just like the first time I realized that my mum was gone forever.

And now, it's our tenth anniversary. Thank you for everything and I look forward to the many decades to come!

2 comments:

  1. Sniff, sniff... Niagra Falls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very sweat blog entry, Lambda! Congratulations! =) Yammie

    ReplyDelete