Wednesday 25 March 2009

A small step for me, a big step for my secretary

The comfort from my morning 糯米鸡 didn't last very long. When I came back from a client meeting, I was told that a teach-in was switched to 2pm and a conference call with a client on a live deal will also start at 2pm. Problem and somehow, my secretary thought it was me being difficult..... I should go to Hogwarts and learn the spell so that I can travel back and forth in time!

I asked my secretary to reschedule our teach-in and the feedback was a perfect example of a Less is More "no room". It carries the following unspoke messages:

- I do not want to do anything beyond that
- Get lost

I asked if a makeshift meeting room next to our office was available and this is how the conversation went:

"Someone in ECM booked it"

"Do you know who booked it"

"So & So"

"Can we ask if So & So is willing to use the small office next door if he's just using the meeting room for conference call"

"They have priority"

"If he's having a small meeting or conference call, perhaps he'll be willing to use the small office instead. Can you check please?"

"They have priority"

I realized the conversation would not go anywhere and I took the matter in my hands before I blew up on my secretary. A short email was sent as So & So wasn't at his desk. Within minutes, I got the reply that I was looking for "No worries, all yours" at the expense of a coffee from Robuchon (I figure I can still afford it). All sorted and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Why is it so difficult for people to be logical and reasonable? Is it that important to stick with the rules when there is a clear problem if the rules are followed? BTW, we are not committing a crime by breaking the "protocol" which was set by a bunch of people who have no comprehension of practicality.

Common sense is so not common!

No comments:

Post a Comment