Friday 20 March 2009

If you are going through hell, keep going

- Winston Churchill

Logic seems to defy gravity these days. Not only do people who don't deserve to keep their job have a job, they are trying to claim all the credit they have no right to. The best part? That's the sort who are in the top performing category!

We were invited by another bank to work on the deal together because of our expertise in that particular area. We followed all internal policy and guidelines in terms of logging the deal and forming the deal team.

During the seven months when the two banks and outside counsels slaved away to close the deal, no one from outside of our department ever showed up at our door steps to offer any help. In fact, other people didn't even bother to ask if we wanted dinner delivery when they were having fun chatting away in the office while we were on long conference calls till midnight.

Two days after we received the fee from the client, my phone rang and a colleague wanted credit because he claimed to have introduced the client to my group. Unless I live in the matrix, he asked me to set up a meeting with the same client and introduce him and his team to the client a week ago. Where is the Oracle? Neo!!!

As if my life in the office is not interesting enough, I had the pleasaure to deal with someone who has no basic understanding of respect. I'm not talking about Ali G style respect (I wish I were as there's a neat way to deal with the problem in that world). What is it with having to think aloud and force others to go through basic stuff and then screamed at the top of his lungs that "This is 101 material! I didn't add anything new! Just answer me yes or no!" I was not impressed in our first encounter. The tone was condescending and so was the body language. Is that person a genius? Think the chance of me winning the nobel prize in Physics in 30 years is higher.

There are also lots of politics and frankly, I am mentally drained just to think about them.

That's how pathetic my work life is. I would have packed my stuff and left but cannot do it in the same market. Yes, I am indeed going through hell and I don't have any choice but to keep going. When am I going to see the light of the other end of the tunnel? Hope I am not walking in the Delaware Aqueduct!

2 comments:

  1. I thought Ali G spells it "respekt"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have to learn again as they all speak Ali G...

    ReplyDelete