Wednesday 25 March 2009

The beauty of 糯米鸡 (Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaves)

I had to come to work early this morning and got off the taxi at the old Mandarin Oriental. Across the street is one of my favourite fast food shops. I know, it's not exactly healthy but I wanted to have something warm. I ordered a 糯米鸡 (Sticky Rice in Lotus Leaves, "Nor Mai Gai") and left the shop with a big smile on my face. It's usually sold out by 8:30am!

The 糯米鸡 is not as good as the ones I had as a child but I think it's the memory of it that makes it my comfort food. My parents used to send my brother and me to buy 糯米鸡 from the old man who steamed his 糯米鸡 in a big barrel on a wooden trolley in Winter nights. 糯米鸡 allows me to be a child again. The only worry I had back then was when I would turn 10 (double digit was a big thing somehow when I was young).

It's 9am and I would better read all the files before people start coming in to the office. The beautiful quiet morning is almost over.....

No comments:

Post a Comment