Tuesday 23 June 2009

Let's play engineer

First it was Changunnie who insisted that there's a big spider on the ceiling (Don't ask me how she got the supervision. Maybe the smoked salmon...) and then I noticed the tiny cracks (i.e. the spider) turned into bigger ones. There are yellow watermarks on the ceiling too. It feels like the ceiling is going to melt if we have another heavy rain.

We called 6 contractors and 4 provided quotes with details. I started my research on the material they use and within a matter of days, I was forced to learn about modified polyurethane elastomer, setting up a temporary crane on the roof top, calculation of tension between the brick wall and the cement layer....etc. It's like back to school and this time, the lab is a lot bigger!

Grandma and grandpa want to have a green house on the rooftop after the waterproofing work. That will require the hiring of an achitect, submit the blueprint for approval at the Building Department, paying the fee for increase the plot ratio... it's gonna be fun fun fun! I think the cost will deter any desire to have a greenhouse. Will see on this one.

Anyone who gotta deal with domestic stuff like this, give me a call! I can probably help you to cut the cost by 25%. No need to go for the top end heat resistent tiles. Light colour stone reflects enough heat to make a difference. Make sure the leveling is done properly or you are creating a puddle on the roof top. Fun fun fun! When should I go to Wanchai to source for tiles now?

No comments:

Post a Comment