Monday 22 June 2009

Baby boom

I don't think there's any change to the aging society. I mean there are a lot more crying (add screaming, kicking, puking....whatever that fits the bill) babies around the work place these days. People simply have no control over their temper. If things don't go their way, they have a go at people around them. The spectrum of people is as wide as you can get from senior manager to trainees.

When I was a trainee (was 15 years that long ago?), I went through pretty bad verbal abuse. Some were intended to be character building, some were results of my own stupidity. I cried, of course, in the bathroom by myself and I had to face with the same people and same tasks again. These days, I need to care about how the recipient feels. I am not saying it's good to yell at people but why can't people realize they are not always right?? I need to care about how the other feel, what about me feeling suffocated from being around dodos who won't benefit even if they get a new brain (Sorry, Wizard of the Oz is just a story!)

I think people just got the whole "positive thinking" idea wrong. Disciplines is important and makes this world a better place. However, lots of people got stuck in this positive thinking mindset and decided that you should not say No or "discourage" anyone. Children need to know the boundary. These days? Try to have coffee at Starbucks at IFC on the weekend. I guarantee you to see little kids throwing temper tantrum at their parents at least once during your coffee break. The parents? They beg and beg for the kids to stop. What would I have done? Leave the kid there, cry all he/she wants because Mama isn't gonna yield.

Off track from the office thing? No, you see the exact same traits on people who are supposedly well educated and mature. You know why I don't buy any financial products? Part of it is I know the risk and most of them don't suit my risk profile and part of it is I know the people. I just don't feel comfortable to entrust my life time savings with people who throw a temper tantrum whenever things don't go as they planned.

This is a problem as I don't think the world can function relatively smoothly if the society is packed with people like that. Decisions will not be makde promptly and appropriately. Resources will be wasted on nothing. Do I see light on the other side of the tunnel? Unfortunately no.

No comments:

Post a Comment