Wednesday 3 June 2009

If your mummy doesn't do well in the interview, you cannot go to kindergarten!

Applying for kindergarten is no monkey business in Hong Kong. There are consultants and special prep schools (I did my research because I wanted to do that for a living too!)

Where should I start? Let's look at some of the questions on the application form and the answers I have in my head which if I put on the application form, our application will go straight to the bin, more spectacular than a determining last second three pointer in the seventh game of the NBA playoff.

Q: Which student learning results particularly connect well with your hopes and dreams of a school for your child?
A: I just don't want my kid to end up in jail!

Q: Give an example of a way that you and your family have helped your child to grow in one (or more) of these learning results
A: Run! Run! The police is coming

Q: What do you feel your child will contribute to the school's community?
A: Err... my mum taught me to swear in four languages. Diversity? Multi-cultural exposure?

Application begins the day the kid is born. Applicants have to pay some ridiculous amount of application fee to get their names on the waitlist. Two years or so later, the applicants will be summoned to take some assessment test and attend an interview. According to horror story I heard from other parents, kids are supposed to strike up a conversation with the teacher instead of giving simple answers that a two year old is capable of. Apparently, parents whose native language is English were told that their children cannot get into the school because the children's English ability is not at par with other native speakers!?!

We didn't do anything and only started looking for school last week. I will also be interviewed and if I act like myself, I basically deprive my daughter of a "decent education". I really should get Changunnie to learn to swear in six languages now!

No comments:

Post a Comment