Thursday 30 April 2009

What a day!

It's been a while since I last wrote and I am not kidding that I have been very busy, to the extent that my bladder capacity increased tremendously over the past two weeks. Two times a day is a good day. Three times is the day when I know I have my winning lottery ticket.

I worked till past midnight and was barely awake when the alarm went off this morning at 5:45. I had a 8am flight to catch to Beijing. I do not know why we picked the day before the start of the May day long weekend to meet with Chinese clients (I thought they were all rushing to HK for some retail therapy which I desperately need but cannot afford). All Beijingers were trying to escape town when outsiders all rushed in for the celebration. I needed to move swiftly around town from East to West and back and I saw more cars in one day than I have the entire month last month. Think locust flying, I saw the car version on the highway.

Anyway, the day started out alright. I bumped into an old colleague whom I respect a lot at the airport. We were leaving at the same time to different cities. We had a pleasant chitchat at the airport lounge. No work talk, mostly about family and friends which really help to alleviate the stress I have.

On the plane, I couldn't sleep and ended up watching a Will Smith movie (Seven Pounds). The pace was compariable to that of a Korean period drama series but I watched it anyway. I needed total diversion from work.

Then, my day really started to crumble after I landed. Panic email after panic email popped up. I have people who are upset, screaming and kicking. It's like a candy store of lunatics, you name it and I have it.

After a long meeting with client (what's new other than the client is talking about something which is different from what we were told by coverage team and I ended up having to scrape the book and improvise on the spot?), I went back to the office and was told that I didn't do my work properly for an internal risk committee meeting to discuss my deal. I thought a manager is someone to help you to escalate, to open door of senior people for you. Silly me, it should be the other way round.

The meeting was postponed for various reason. It was a good outcome from some serios chaos. It really forces me to think what the hell am I doing 15 hours a day??? I signed an employment contract but I did not sign a contract to sell my soul. I thought it's my right to eat during my 1 hour lunch break but no, I was so wrong about it. The verbatim comment, "Why do people think they are entitled to a lunch break in Asia?"

I think I had enough. ARrgghhh!!

No comments:

Post a Comment