Saturday 9 October 2010

Wild boar!?

One of my favourite restaurants was closing down as the owner decided to open a bigger and glammer outpost. A friend booked a table for a last meal there and I happily signed up when she asked if anyone wanted to join her.

I was so looking forward to getting my favorite wild boar ragout. I was thinking if I should get a 1.5x ALC portion since it'd be a long time before I could taste it again on my way to the restaurant. Wasn't I glad that I weren't driving as all I could see in my head was a dish of wild boar ragout tagliatelle with a wobbly soft egg sitting on top.

When we arrived, the waitress dutifully reported that some of the signature dishes weren't available. Hmm... My dish wasn't named and I smugly said, "well, MY wild boar ragout isn't on the ..." and the waitress chirped in, "sorry but the wild boar ragout is not available either". My friends joked about where the restaurant got the supply of wild boar and whether we should call in the Agriculture and Fishery Department to hunt some wild boars roaming around town in HK in order to get our prized ragout.

What a bummer and despite the very attractive special on the board, my heart sank. I was there for my piggy. In the end, i got tagliatelle with lots of porcini and a wobbly egg on top. I left the restaurant as a happy customer but something was missing....

Got home after a painful and unsuccessful search for a kid friendly camera. I heard a story about wild boar (why oh why to torture me like that?) from Grandpa.

Changster was telling us the story of Goldilock and the three bears after I unplugged the TV, Grandpa asked me if I think there are bears around in HK. I said, " there shouldn't be but I know there are wild boars in town. In fact, they got so close to residential area that they became headline news awhile ago."

Grandpa then told me that the other day when he took Bear (our puppy) for a walk, crazy boy (my nickname for Bear) started barking furiously at the bush on the slope behind our compound. When Grandpa was wondering why, he saw a big brown creature running back into the mountain. My guess is they were less than 20 meters away from a wild boar.....

If I report the case to the A&FD and they successfully hunt it down, can I get some meat?

No comments:

Post a Comment