Sunday 20 September 2009

Discovery - marriage and living

Daddy went to Seoul to attend his colleague's wedding on Saturday. He was gone for 24 hours only ( yes! Got there, party party and left) but Changunnie and I decided to pick daddy up at the airport as if he were gone for a week. From Changunnie's perspective, there's nothing cooler than riding the express train and being at the airport. Happy meal on the plane means a lot to her. I was happy to go without realizing why until we spoke about the wedding before daddy fell asleep, and he's snoring next to me now.

Our honeymoon was not standard. We waited for one month after the wedding before we headed off to Maui. Unlike other people who were there for the romantic parts of Hawaii, we were there because Kapalua offered unlimited golf inclusive of a lodge and rental car. It was essentially Spring Break for us. We didn't waste our time at all and packed the entire week with golf. There was no picnic on the beach or anything like that. Then, we went to Los Angeles to spend Thanksgiving with the family. Last stop was San Fransico for daddy to interview recent law school graduates to fill an associate role at his firm. Daddy spent the day inteviewing whilst I reactivated my accounts at couple department stores. That night, he told me he found someone (John) and ten years later, right before our tenth anniversary, John got married and daddy went to his wedding.

No wonder I had the urge to pick daddy up at the airport. It's been ten years and I rarely pick him up at the airport these days. Having Changunnie is more than a full time job (and the little rascal declared to grandpa that mummy is mad!) and now that she's a little older and is capable of making conversation, I want her to know how her parents interacted with each other before we had her and for the two of us to have some couple time.

Ten years is nothing compared to the marriage that my grandparents and parents had. It doesn't cut the amount of work it takes to maintain a marriage. When I signed on the dotted line, I thought nothing could be too difficult. In the past ten years, there were days when we wanted to throw in the towel. If you are not prepared to put in the patience, love and care, don't bother getting married. And when we thought we had it all figured out, Changunnie arrived and I can tell you the impact is only comparable by sitting on the crater of Halla San when there's an eruption.

Does it worth it? Yes, every second of it. It's not nice and sweet all the way but that's what makes life interesting. I'm looking forward to the 20th anniversary. In the meantime, what do I want as an anniversary present? Will I have enough time to prepare the new playlist for daddy's iPod? Let's see how well I can fend off dodos at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment