Saturday 11 July 2009

Almost the age of a bottle of good whisky

A very good friend from my college days is in town and we went out for dinner tonight. It's been almost 20 years since we first met. We were innocent kids being miles away from home for school. There was no skype or MSN back then (even though you can use Unix and the rather poorly named function to "finger" someone). We didn't need facebook to stay friends.

I don't think our appearances changed much (or am I in denial?) We simply went from girls talking about kiddie stuff like "hot chocolate with marshmallow is far better than that without" to "the mail order bride trend started in Russia and moved onto China and now a big trade in Southeast Asia". We were not able to see each other that much over the last 15 years because of work and study. The flight time was almost always at least 12 hours away.

The dinner was pleasant and we had a good catch up. The missing bit was another good friend from back then couldn't make it and the visitor asked if I have been keeping in touch with the other friend. The answer was an appalling one. I would love to but didn't really do much.

I think the problem is when we are in the same city, we always think there's a "next weekend" to catch up. We ended up rescheduling our get together and after a while, we simply put it on the back burner. Maybe I tend to take things for granted too easily.

I counted the number of years the three of us have known each other. It's been almost 19 years! Almost the age of a good bottle of whisky. How can I be so sloppy? Isn't friends and family more important than work? Gotta re-prioritise!

No comments:

Post a Comment