Thursday 30 July 2009

All you can eat (pork) not!

We continued our tourist trap tour after D-Land. The expectation was properly managed after D Land and we weren't too excited when we got to Hallim Park. Ok, there're two limestone caves and some bonsai. Hmm.... as exciting as eating a live earthworm for me.

It turned out to be a pretty pleasant 2 hours stroll. Lots of work was put in to keep the garden in good shape. The black and white pictures along the way showed how the founder and his team of workers turned a piece of waste land into a garden.




By the time we were done, it was 2pm. Changun ajashi took us to a restaurant on the highway. It serves Korean grilled fish and stews. It was a big lunch and according to everyone else, was pretty good too. I was too busy dealing with Changunnie's feeding and nature's calls and didn't get a chance to take any pictures or eat anything. One thing I noticed though, there are lots of weird Korean Hangul character on the menu. I thought I was the only one who couldn't understand it. It turned out that Grandma and Grandpa have never seen that before either. Changun Ajashi explained that after the introduction of Korean by the king, there wasn't much contact (in terms of language development) with the mainland and lots of ancient Korean remains well and alive in Jeju. These days, scholars from the mainland go to Jeju to study the language, in the hope of understanding old poetries and poems better.

After lunch, we went to the "Spirited Garden", a garden that showcases some of the best bonsai in all of Korea (or so they claimed). I don't know how spirited the garden was. Changunnie slept there and I strolled around a little. That stop was really for Grandpa and Grandma as they are into gardening and bonsai.






It was after 7pm when we got back to the hotel. Since I didn't eat much (at all!) during lunch, we decided to try out another Ddong dweji jib. Not sure why but we picked one on the main street of Jungmun area. As the nice person I always am, am not going to disclose the name of the restaurant here. Just avoid that area if you ever go to Jeju! The service was bad and the food was way too expensive. Call me an old woman but I really don't like the excessive use of sugar in cooking which is favoured by the younger generation in Korea. When my bibimnengmyun arrived, I was disappointed. It was too sweet for my taste! Even the salad that was served with the Ohgyeopsal was sweet!

We headed back to the hotel in heavy rain and bought a mango cheese bread for Changunnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment